The organic Hedgehog’s mane (Lion’s mane, Hericium erinaceus) is a peculiar mushroom with white “veins”. It comes from North America, Europe and Asia. They have been used for centuries in traditional systems of medicine such as Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), called “Hou Tou Gu” in Mandarin, and are highly valued for their health benefits. With a rich history rooted in several continents, the Hedgehog is still a growing interest and is cultivated and studied for its promising effects on health and general well-being. Hedgehog mushrooms are high in protein and vitamin D.
Advantages of TCM
1. Cognitive abilities – often associated with promoting mental clarity and improving memory. It is believed to nourish Shen (spirit) and Ying (life essence), tonify Yin and replenish Qi (energy).
2. Digestive health – supports digestive health by promoting Qi balance in the stomach and spleen. It can help reduce digestive problems and improve overall gut health.
3. Immune support – strengthens the body’s immune system, helping to ward off disease and maintain overall health.
4. Neurological benefits – traditionally used to relieve symptoms associated with nervous disorders, including insomnia and anxiety.
Current research has focused on the potential benefits of Hedgehog mushrooms:
1. Cognitive function – contains compounds hericenones and erinacins, whose potential to stimulate nerve growth factor (NGF) production has been studied. NGF is essential for neuronal growth, maintenance and survival, suggesting that the Hedgehog mushroom may influence cognitive function and help with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
2. Nerve support – research also suggests that the Hedgehog mushroom may have neuroprotective properties that can help repair damaged nerves and help treat diseases such as multiple sclerosis.
3. Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties – rich in antioxidants that can help fight oxidative stress and inflammation in the body. These properties may play a role in reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
4. Digestive health – research shows that they can promote gastrointestinal health by stimulating the growth of beneficial gut bacteria, which can aid digestion and improve nutrient absorption.
Hedgehogs are generally considered safe when used as a food or food supplement. Allergic reactions are rare, but may occur in some people.
Lion’s Mane mushrooms can slow blood clotting. Stop using mushrooms at least 2 weeks before your planned surgery.
There is not enough reliable information on whether it is safe to use in pregnant or lactating women. Be safe and do not use.
It can be used in various forms, including fresh, dried, ground into a powder or as an extract.
Mushrooms have a mild flavour, making them a versatile ingredient. Get creative in the kitchen by using it in dishes such as omelettes, pasta sauces or even as a pizza topping.
The powder can be added to smoothies, coffee, tea or even sprinkled on cereals or yoghurt.
The recommended dose is 1 g per day. Use up to 16 weeks.
NOTES. The information provided here should not be taken as advice on treatment or any other health issues. We encourage you to make personal health decisions based on your personal knowledge and consideration of different sources of information.